[EpiData-list] Problems with variable labels after transferring data from Epidata to Stata

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 6 12:22:14 CST 2004

Halvor,

I have experienced this behaviour too.

The problem comes from the fact that EpiData export to Stata (8) sets display
format of the variable (in Stata) equal to the variable length in EpiData. This
means that you have to manually change display formats in Stata, if your are
using value labels on your data.

I do not know if this behaviour is expected (we would have to ask Jens Lauritsen
about that?), or if it's a bug.

The following (Stata example) should illustrate the problem (using one of my own
datasets). The variables are defined as # in EpiData:

-------------------------------------

. use odont1
(Data file created by EpiData based on odont1.rec)

. de sex*

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
sexanthr        byte   %1.0f       SEXFMT     0-3   Sex due to
                                                anthropological analysis
sexarch         byte   %1.0f       SEXFMT     0-4   Sex due to archaeological
                                                analysis

. list sex*

     +--------------------+
     | sexanthr   sexarch |
     |--------------------|
  1. |        (         F |
  2. |        (         m |
  3. |        (         m |
  4. |        (         ( |
     +--------------------+

. list sex* , nolabel

     +--------------------+
     | sexanthr   sexarch |
     |--------------------|
  1. |        2         1 |
  2. |        2         3 |
  3. |        2         3 |
  4. |        4         4 |
     +--------------------+

. format sex* %28.0f

. de sex*

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
sexanthr        byte   %28.0f      SEXFMT     0-3   Sex due to
                                                anthropological analysis
sexarch         byte   %28.0f      SEXFMT     0-4   Sex due to archaeological
                                                analysis

. list sex*

     |                     sexanthr                    sexarch |
  1. | (female) [= probably female]                     Female |
  2. | (female) [= probably female]                       male |
  3. | (female) [= probably female]                       male |
  4. |     (male) [= probably male]   (male) [= probably male] |

-------------------------------------

That is: nothing is missing in Stata, but it is discarded in display, because of
display format. Try -list, nolabel- and the actual values will be displayed.

See -help format- on how to change display formats of variables.

/Jesper

Regards,

Jesper Kjær Hansen
Student Assistant
Department of Statistics
University of Southern Denmark
mailto:kjaer.hansen at oncable.dk

| Call me with Skype: callto://kjaer.hansen   |
| or find me on MSN Messenger                 |