[EpiData-list] Definition of Values, Jumps Reset

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 13 11:47:06 CST 2004

Jens,

Thank you very much for your help.  From reading the help file, I didn't
realize that "JUMPS RESET 9" would actually fill in each variable with the
full length.  That actually works better for me.  Is there anyway that I
can reset only my numeric values to 9?  I would  prefer to keep my char
variables clear when they're skipped.  I tried writing:

IF (Q14=55) THEN
    CLEAR Q15B
    CLEAR Q16B
ENDIF

I thought this might overwrite the "JUMPS RESET" for those variables, but
it didn't work that way.  Is there any other way to do this, aside from
writing a bit of code (Q15A=99, CLEAR Q15B, etc...) for each variable
between Q14 and ENDNOTE1?

Also, regarding the message "Definition of values (comment legal,
missingvalue, range ...)":

In my program, I have code like in your example:

v1
    mustenter
    missingvalue 99
    comment legal use label_q01
     after entry
         if  (v1 <> 8) and (v1 <> 14) and (v1 <> 21) and (v1 <> 99) then
              help "Wrong value entered"
              goto v1
         endif
     end
end

The reason I did this is because I wanted the users to be able to override
the legal values if they felt it was necessary to type in something other
than 8, 14, 21, or 99 -- sometimes valid codes are added to our
variables.  Yet I wanted the users to still get a warning if they didn't
use one of the legal values.  I also had to add "range -9 99" in order for
this to work with "comment legal use".  As far as I understand, users
cannot override legal values or range values.  Please correct me if I am
wrong.  As a result, I stay away from using legal and range in my EpiData
programs, unless I want to have value labels.  While the after entry block
above is seemingly unnecessary, it at least allows the user to click in the
next appropriate field with their mouse and force the program to accept the
value.

Thank you,

Katie Thornton
Programmer