[EpiData-list] Initial test of Analysis build 18 - TABLES

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Mar 3 22:14:29 CST 2005

  My favourite data set for TABLES is RELY.REC as it will eventually be
a good test of MATCH.

For this data, the 'inverted' table should read
=========> tables rely case

CASE
RELY │ + - │ Total
───────────┼─────────────┼──────
+ │ 11 13 │ 24
- │ 3 29 │ 32
───────────┼─────────────┼──────
Total │ 14 42 │ 56
(from Epi6)

EpiData Analysis gives me
CASE
RELY Y % N % Total %
Y 11 (45.8) 3 (9.4) 14 (25.0)
Y 13 (54.2) 29 (90.6) 42 (75.0)
N 24 (100.0) 32 (100.0) 56 (100.0)

Two problems:
1) The data are not inverted. However, the results are correct (OR, RR, etc)
2) Labelling for rows is not correct "N" row labelled "Y", "Total" row
labelled "N"

Percentages here are appropriate for Case-control study, but would not
be of interest for Cohort study. Of course, the option to remove them is
with the user.

Turning on/off of OR and RR behaves as expected.

if I turn off both OR and RR, I get a correct table:

RELY
CASE N Y Total
N 29 13 42
Y 3 11 14
Total 32 24 56

So the problem is that with OR=on or RR=on, the rows and columns are
switched, but the table has not been rotated to put CASE on top. I think
that it will be more consistent to always put the first TABLES variable
as the column header, or if the preferred practice for tables is to put
the first variable as rows then we could accept 2x2 tables with the
outcome in rows. The problem is that, looking at the output and the
command, I'm confused about how I construct the command to get what I
want. We have to enforce

TABLES outcomevar exposurevar

if we want RR to be calculated correctly.

Jamie Hockin