[EpiData-list] "find records" not working properly

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 15 02:40:12 CST 2005

>>> <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca> 14-03-2005 17:41:54 >>>
"I'm a new user of EpiData, and have a question regarding "finding
records."
When I try to find a certain case using a "Find Records" command, I
sometimes get an error message saying "searching string(s) not found,"
even
though the record I'm looking for is in the file. "

A good strategy would be:
a  enter a number you are sure to remember, e.g. 9999 in a new record.
b Move to record 1 (goto menu)
c. start search and make sure you have indicated that searching should
be done in that field.
d. after entering search criteria start the search
e. see if you stop at record 9999
  if not: there is an error in EpiData
  if you get to 9999 : Probably you forgot to indicate the correct
record.
f. report to the list if it worked for you now.
g. delete the false record with 9999 (enter a true record in that
record or mark for deletion and pack-tools menu)

regards

Jens Lauritsen
Coordinator and initiator of EpiData
www.epidata.dk