[EpiData-list] second try: order of missing valuesindocument->codebook

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Mar 30 14:04:33 CST 2006

Thanks for checking.

  I was expecting the missing values to appear either at the top or  bottom of the list for numeric variables.  In my dataset, it  appears first for variables with 2-3 values, but in variables with  greater than 3 values, it appears in an arbitrary position.

  I don't see how the *.chk file could affect (which controls entry)  could affect the position of . in the codebook since that tabulation  occurs later after the file is created.

  RH/NIH

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:  I gave it a try:
-  When the variable is NUMERIC (as it is the case in your file), missing  (.) values appear at the end of the tabulation. When it is STRING,  missing (.) values appear at the top of the tabulation as follows:
var1S -------------------------------------------------------------------- var1S
                   type:  Texte majuscule
     Libellés des codes:  libellé_var1s

               manquant:  3/7
        valeurs uniques:  4

             tabulation:   Freq.   P.100  Valeur  Libellé
                              3    42.9       .
                              1    14.3       1  1
                              1    14.3       2  2
                              2    28.6       3  3

var2N -------------------------------------------------------------------- var2N
                   type:  Numérique
     Libellés des codes:  libellé_var1s

               manquant:  3/7
             fourchette:  [2 ; 3]
        valeurs uniques:  3

             tabulation:   Freq.   P.100  Valeur  Libellé
                              3    42.9       2  2
                              1    14.3       3  3
                              3    42.9       .

Note:  as shown in your example, there is a redundancy in the checkblock: the  variable is controlled by a list if valid values ('label_ramde7'), AND  there a Range command (0-10,98). As it is already controlled by the  list, it is not useful to control it twice with 'Range - legal'. Choose  either of the 2 control systems, remove the other one, and check again.

   Gilles DELMAS
   Institut de Veille Sanitaire
   Dept. Maladies Infectieuses,
   Unité infections entériques, alimentaires et zoonoses
   12 rue du Val d'Osne 94415 Saint-Maurice cedex - France
   + 33 1 41 79 67 27
   g.delmas at invs.sante.fr