[EpiData-list] re: ongoing outbreak

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jun 5 22:26:55 CDT 2008

Christine,

I echo my colleagues' thanks for your undertaking this diary of an
outbreak. We have gone through these steps many times with our field
epidemiologists. Most of my personal experience was with Epi6 and I have
found that I can do everything I used to do and more with EpiData.

A tip for using the LIST command is that it follows the ECHO setting. I
assume you are running programs and have

set echo=off

somewhere. If you put in your program

set echo=on
list a b c d if x=y
set echo=off

you should get what you want with only a minimum of extra text.

I posted to the listserve (November 2007) a solution to getting a table
of frequencies of symptoms. This makes use of the CMD function, which
may not be for the casual user, but is very powerful. You can try this.
Add the following to the top of your Analysis program:

define sym ________________ global
cmd asym
  count @sym /q if @sym="Y"  // or whatever means yes
  type "@sym:    @$count"
end

And in your Analysis program, where you want the symptom table:

type "Frequency of symptoms"
sym = "Vomit"
asym
sym = "Diarrhea"
asym

There are ways to format this better, but this gives you the
information.This can be done without using the CMD statement block, but
this keeps the Analysis .pgm file simpler. If you want % of cases with
each symptom, see my posting from last November.