[EpiData-list] Using time

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Nov 23 15:44:19 CST 2009

The answer is different for Entry and Analysis and depends on how you
have coded time.
Entry has check functions for handling time coded as a floating point
number (hh.mm - e.g. 1:30 pm is 13.30) - these are described in the Help
for adding validation and checks.

In Analysis, you can do the math, but the special functions are not
there, so you have to take apart the time.

For time as hh.mm and variables start and finish:

durmin = int(finish) + 60*(finish-int(finish)) - int(start) - 60*(start
- int(start))
* That's duration in minutes
durhr = durmin / 60.0
* That's duration in hours and fractions of an hour
duration = int(durhr) + 100*(durhr - int(durhr))
* That's duration as hh.mm

Jamie Hockin