[EpiData-list] EpiData 3.1. blank line output

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Oct 25 13:31:54 CDT 2011

Dear Nina:

At risk of answering something you actually didn't ask:

You have a questionnaire on paper and in EpiData (*.QES), say with three
fields:

id Identifier __
sex Respondent's sex #
age Respondent's age in years ###

You create a data file from it (*.REC) and may or may not add some
Checks (*.CHK) to it.  If the CHK file does not require that every field
must have a value (MUSTENTER), EpiData will still not allow you during
data entry to enter an entirely empty record, but it will be enough if
at least one field has a value  So, if you put not constraints on the
first "line" (I presume that you mean the first field with that), there
is no problem for EpiData to accept that.  In the specific example
above, it would of course be a shame because it is the identifier and
missing that one, there will be trouble to match latter the electronic
record to your paper record if you would like to complete the record if
data become available later.

If this is not what you asked for, it might be best to circumvent the
list, and you send me to TBRieder at tbrieder.org your actual EpiData files
so that I may see better what it is about.

Best regards,

Hans