[EpiData-list] epidata as relational database for disaster electronic medical record

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 30 23:41:25 CDT 2011

In 2006, our region suffered massive flooding. We even had to evacuate
one hospital to another. We opened an evacuation shelter in the
gymnasium at the local university. One section was basically a field
hospital for the medically needy evacuees. Our patient record-keeping at
that time was a little week.

We recently suffered another massive flood, several-fold worse than
2006. 30,000 people, 15% of our county's population,were evacuated. We
had 1800 people in an evacuation shelter in that same gymnasium. About
100 were "medical needs" evacuees--oxygen, BiPAP, skilled nursing needs,
etc. Our record keeping was better this time, but still left something
to be desired.

I'm brainstorming ideas, both paper and electronic. Does anyone have any
experience using Epidata as a relational database, so as to serve as a
simple lightweight electronic medical record during a disaster?

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Binghamton, NY
and
Medical Director, Broome County Health Department