[EpiData-list] epidata as relational database for disaster electronic medical record

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 31 17:34:49 CDT 2011

Hans and Louk, thank you for your interest, and Louk for your generous
offer. I may be in touch with you by email directly. Yes, this would be
something in preparation for the next flood/other disaster.

My thoughts are still very tentative, but what I envision is roughly:

1. A .rec file of evacuees.  As each evacuee arrives, they are undergo a
brief interview by Health Department or Red Cross worker: basic
demographics, name, address, birthdate, etc, date/time of arrival to the
shelter, and then some screening medical/nursing questions to assess
their needs. Evacuees with needs intense enough will get triaged to the
"medical" section of the shelter, while others will get triaged to the
"general population" part of the shelter. Besides just gathering data,
Epidata could help with interactive prompts. For example, "Do you
require oxygen?" If yes, Epidata flashes a message, "assign to medical
shelter. Do you want to override?"  (Oxygen use is one of our criteria
for being in the medical shelter.)

2. A RELATEd .rec file containing the names and doses of the evacuees
medicines. This file, given to our supporting pharmacies, could be very
useful: "Here's a list of all the meds we will need at the shelter."
There would be a 1:many relationship between a record in the evacuee
file (#1 above) and the records in this "medications" file.

3. Another RELATEd .rec file for "encounters," which are anything you do
with an evacuee during their stay in the shelter: obtain and record
vital signs, give a medicine, give some other treatment, send to the
emergency department, etc.  Each would be date/time stamped, of course.
There would be a 1:many relationship between a record in the evacuee
file (#1 above) and the records in this "encounter" file.

Louk, there is no universal identifying number in the US. I would use
pre-numbered wristbands; the number on the band would be the person's ID
number while in the shelter, and we would put a matching wristband on
them upon arrival and registration.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

--Chris

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904
cryanatbinghamtondotedu

"Observation is a more powerful force than you could possibly reckon.
The invisible, the overlooked, and the unobserved are the most in danger
of reaching the end of the spectrum. They lose the last of their light.
 From there, anything can happen . . ."  [God, in "Joan of Arcadia,"
episode entitled, "The Uncertainty Principle."]