[EpiData-list] epidata as relational database for disaster electronic medical record

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Nov 1 19:44:00 CDT 2011

Because of huge identity theft problems, the SSN is rarely used outside of financial or legal transactions where it is legally required.  I refuse to give it to anyone unless there is a legal requirement to do so.  A study relying on SSNs triggers major IRB concerns about confidentiality.  The SSN isn't given at birth, but at some point when a financial relationship is established (e.g., a bank account is opened).  It used to be used as an ID number on drivers licenses and school IDs, but by law it is never used for those purposes any longer.