[EpiData-list] RE : EpiData-list Digest, Vol 97, Issue 7

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Nov 9 02:05:05 CST 2011

On 2011-11-09 08:42, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
> Hi,
> A response to Réjean,
> I did not experience your "out of memory" problem, but I had the "Unable to open the file. An unknown error occured" one several times (because of ranges in DMY date fields, see my message on the list).
> In this case, you can edit the epx file in wordpad or notpad, and delete the wrong lines, supposing you can identify then (possibly lines concerning value labels in your case).
Just a small note. I strongly recommend not to edit the .epx file in
Notepad or Wordpad but use some other program.

This is because the builtin editors of Windows (especially Notepad) does
not handle the special lineending markers very well and the UTF-8
encoding could also pose a problem. Editing with these program could
cause futher problems.

Instead I would recommend using other free opensource editors. A small
list of free and proprietary editor can be found here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_editors>. Also a simple but
effective editor is notepad++ <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>

Kind regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.