[EpiData-list] First public relase of EpiData Manager and EpiData EntryClient

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 22 16:30:02 CST 2011

Dear all

Following the development in recent years, choice of a new file format
to replace chk+rec, a lot of testing and specification we have today
placed the first version 1.0 of the new software on the public download
page at Http://www.epidata.dk/download.php

I will not make a lengthy statement at this point, since users who
followed the development on this list will be rather well informed.

Following installation you should have:
1 The software (manager and entryclient)
2 The sample file
3 Tutorials files (introduction pdf files)

Notice:
Just after January 1st 2012 we will release a new version of EpiData
Analysis, which can read the data created with V1 of Manager and v1
EntryClient, so be a little patient on that aspect.

The XML structure created by version 1 of the software will be
guaranteed readable from now on. Any future change to the xml will be
handled by the software. Whereas up to now we have modified the
structure several times.

The final format allows the XML to conform to export to the standard
defined by DDI (Http://ddi-alliance.org). More about this later.

EpiData Entry will remain available for download for quite a long time
still. Much of the functionality has not yet been implemented in the new
tools, so if you need some of these aspects you may well choose to
continue to use the old EpiData Entry.

We are quite aware of possible problems in relation to installation etc.
since the new installation routines will not in reality be tested before
you as users start to download and experience.

Please do continue to report any problems found or difficulties
experienced.

There is definetely a need to develop further documentation, training
materials etc. , but that will come.

Following well deserved days off during the coming weeks more news will
follow in the beginning of 2012. We wish all a happy new year and
express hopes for continued support and fruitful discussions on this list.

Kind regards on behalf of Torsten Christiansen and myself

Denmark