[EpiData-list] Access violation message with many fields

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 31 03:56:55 CST 2014

The problem in this situation is that the resulting file will be longer than the rec file limit of 1000 lines.
But instead of telling you this, the error is shown as "access violation. "

This will happen since Analysis writes the fields one by one

Say you have this file during entry:

v1 sex # v2 date of birth <dd/mm/yyyy> v3 id for patient <idnum>

Analysis will write this:
v1 sex #
v2 date of birth <dd/mm/yyyy>
v3 id for patient <idnum>

Therefore with many variables you soon get above the 1000 line restriction. This will be solved when we find funding (and time) to implement the epx format in Analysis.

The solution is then:
read Totalfile
drop var177-varLast
save part1
........ create summary variables or index variables, e.g. binary indicators
.... drop further variables
savedata part1analysis

* get second part:
read Totalfile /close
keep firstvar-var176
save part2
........ create summary variables or index variables, e.g. binary indicators
.... drop further variables

savedata part2analysis

Then in the analysis you will usually summarise some of the variables and you can merge the two parts again:

read part1analysis
merge id /file=part2analysis

* and you have the whole dataset in one file again.

The file "beatrice.rec" in question had 1239 fields and 792 records (off list communication).

regards Jens Lauritsen
EpiData Association