[EpiData-list] Epola Contact tracing and risk assessment system

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Nov 2 10:39:07 CST 2014

Hello List,

As a District Medical Officer, I will have to prepare for Contact tracing
and risk assessment/managing the follow-up of contacts if an unsuspected
Ebola case should surface in my community.

I have started to think of a call center / health care registration system
in EpiData Manager with relate feature: One event/Index case, several
contacts with contact details, and follow-up details of contacts. In the
event that one of the contacts should develop symptoms, then the secondary
case´s contacts will have to be traced. The design of the system certainly
needs some consideration.

This is a global concern, and I imagine several organizations probably
already have made or have plans to develop such a system. EpiData´s
share-friendly approach should be ideal under current circumstance. ECDC
have already done so for food/waterborne outbreak investigation.

1. Anybody already made a system, wiling to share?
2. Any major Organization seeing the benefit of same-format reporting, and
willing to support development of system/templates?
3. I assume that final release of ED 2.0 with relate feature is imminent. I
therefore start to work on a functional but simple local system anyway, and
will seek advice from the list as needed. Where I am right now, I struggle
to carry the content of more than one unique key variable over from the
parent to the child record.

Any comments?

Best regards,
Vegard Hoegli