[EpiData-list] Merging two rec files

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Nov 12 13:03:22 CST 2014

You just merge them in EpiData Analysis

Say you have file a and file b. You want to merge by ID. File a has v1
v2 v3 fields and file b s1 s2 and s3

* do this:
close
read a
merge id  /file=b
tab mergevar
savedata ab
browse id v1 v2 v3 s1 s2 s3 mergevar

You need only these lines to create a combined file for further analysis
or documentation and for the first simple control of whether the
combination went right.
.
If you have more than one variable for the merge just write them next to
"id"

The mergevar variable will tell you from which file a given
record/observation was found:
mergevar is defined with variable labels for these values:
1 : Only in memory (original) 2 : Only in external file 3:In both

It is good practice to be very careful and compare the data before and
after a merge. In particular I always look at the first, the last and
some record in the middle of the file. And I always compare content with
original forms.

Regards