[EpiData-list] automatic warning/information on versions ?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 20 16:23:25 CST 2014

With development of the software new versions are released every time
development has reached a certain point.

It can be annoying to be informed very often about new releases from
software, since this takes time and processor and sometimes also for
users costly Internet connections.

On the other hand we know that some users run into problems due to NOT
having updated to a newer version in which a given problem was solved.

We could therefore consider to have the end user decide an option saying
"check for new version every x days" (e.g. x could be 7). Please give
viewpoints and considerations on this.

Also I noted today that some "semi-comercial" sites most likely running
from the advertisements on that site offer download of the software .
The webplace in question have been contacted by me. If we have automatic
checking with reference to the true EpiData website, that problem would
be minimized .

Is this a desired option or does it work fine with the users getting
information from this list in general ? . We know the  list have about
700 persons "listening", but the number of actual users is very much
larger and these other users do not easily know that there is a new
version around.

regards