[EpiData-list] Epidata: "Error reading record"

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Apr 14 13:35:17 CDT 2005

Hi Juergen,

I have experienced this a couple of times myself.

I found that .rec data files recieved from certain persons seemed to be
corrupted, because the email account they where sent from broke files
longer than a certain number of characters into multiple lines. I have
experienced this behaiour only with emails sent from hotmail accounts.

Sollution: Convert the ascii file (.rec) into a binary file, e.g. by
zipping it. This prevents the email client from trying to include the text
file in the message body (and thereby breaking lines).

Kind regards,

Jesper Kjær Hansen
Student Assistant
Department of Statistics