[EpiData-list] Sending Data files by e-mail and continue working

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Apr 14 15:23:52 CDT 2005

> Hello everybody,
> I sometimes get an error message "Error reading record"
> when I open an Epidata *.rec file. .........
> I believe, that this error only happens with data files
> that I received as email-attachments.

My suggestion that in situations where you want to e-mail the rec file
to another place, send it as a zip file. Some systems adds one line or a
blank line to attachments, so I would:

One of a-c.
 From tools menu make an archive and send it - preferably encrypted,
such that contents are not giving problems if the e-mail gets lost or
sent to an inappropriate receiver.

b.
Save data file(s) etc. in a new compressed zip-file, include current
date in filename:
AFTER FILE
   BACKUP F:\backup\distinationdirectory ZIP myzipfile.zip [DATE]
END

Save data file(s) etc. in a new encrypted data file, do not include
current date in filename:
AFTER FILE
   BACKUP F:\dist_dir ENCRYPT myencryptfile secretword
END

(Points b and c copied from the help file for EpiData v3.1