[EpiData-list] Problems with [-] key for entering missing values

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Jul 3 06:53:13 CDT 2005

Using the following .qes and .chk files with EpiData version 3.1,
EpiData's behavior is strange:

If I use the [-] numeric key to enter missing values in the field
"schtype", EpiData jumps to the field "male" (i.e. "class" receives no
focus). If I use the [-] key in field "male", EpiData issues the error
message "'-' is not a valid floating point value" although missing
values are defined.

The problem seems to be the movement to the next field after using the
[-] key, because if I drop field "coder" the problem of field "male"
does not occur.

Is there a problem in the check file I did overlook or is this a problem
of EpiData version 3.1? Are there any solutions/suggestions?

BTW: Unfortunately, if I want to label the missing values (an important
feedback to the coder in case different types of "missingness") I cannot
utilize the facility of EpiData to use the [-] key for entering missing
values, because I cannot (better: should not) use COMMAND LEGAL and
MISSINGVALUE with overlapping sets of values for the same field. This
underscores the importance of the suggestions in my last mail (July 1,
2005) to the list.

Here the code of the .qes and .chk files:

* -- .qes --------------------------------
casenum          country specific casenumber [0.1 ] ####
country                         country code [0.2 ] ####
schtype                          school type [0.3 ] ####
class                                  class [0.4 ] ####
male                                  gender [1.0 ] #
coder                       Coder Initials: [66.0s] <A  >
* -- end .qes ----------------------------

* -- .chk --------------------------------
LABELBLOCK
   LABEL country