[EpiData-list] Remote Entry, Multiple Users, Long Text Fields

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 24 20:17:34 CDT 2005

Hello,
I am a political scientists but used to work with public health people at
The Carter Center. I am comparing EpiData, SPSS Data Entry Builder, and File
Maker Pro as options for entering media incident reports of election
violence.  I am interested in "epidemiology of political violence" and
eventually plan to map incidents.  I am leaning toward Epi because it is
freeware and many other great qualities, but a couple of questions remain:

(1) I would like to have people entering data at the same time from multiple
locations. Is it possible to have a remote and immediate data deposit on a
central server via the web using EpiData?
If not, how have people handled data management when field staff enter data?
Do they just use the same .qes and then send the .rec files periodically,
which are appended.  Are there any problems with this method? I was thinking
of setting up a web site where people could upload their files, then I would
combine them.

(2) I am a bit confused about text fields.  Is it possible to enter
open-ended questions and narratives (paragraph length)?  This is what is
attractive to me about SPSS DEB.  They have remote entry as well as long
text fields.

If anyone has considered these issues I would welcome assistance.

Best wishes,
Megan Reif

Megan E. Reif
Department of Political Science