[EpiData-list] new to epidata: 2 questions

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 17 02:52:39 CST 2005

-----Message d'origine-----
De : epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca [mailto:epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca]
Envoyé : mardi 15 novembre 2005 21:14
À : epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Objet : [EpiData-list] new to epidata: 2 questions

 I'm fairly new to Epidata and have a couple of questions:

  1  In the file manager, the check file I've created has "recovered file fragments" as the file type.  Is that correct?

  2  I've discovered I need to delete a number of variables from the  data file.  This seems straightforward since I can simply delete  them from the .qes file and they will be deleted from the .rec  file.  What happens to the .chk file when I open the new .rec file  with deleted variables?  Will Epidata revise the .chk file by  deleting the checks for variables that no longer exist?

Here is what to do:

1st time you try to enter dada after the QES has been modified:

Revise data from revised revised QES file? (Yes)

The revised QES file will cause loss of data in these fields... (list of fields removed) click "Accept"

Then, warning displays: "Could not apply checks (...)" click Yes
The CHK file opens on the left side of the screen, while a log file explaining where the detected errors are.
Move (left) to the concerned area (ex: variable DATA1 has been removed. Go to the line containing checks for DATA1, and delete all lines from this block (from DATA1 to the last END of the block).
You should also use the 'Find' feature to look for DATA1 within the whole chk file (in case other variables refer to it in their checks) and remove all DATA1 occurrences.

  Many thanks for any help.

  Richard Herrell
  NIMH

			Gilles DELMAS
			Institut de Veille Sanitaire
			Dept. Maladies Infectieuses,
			Unité infections entériques, alimentaires et zoonoses
			12 rue du Val d'Osne 94415 Saint-Maurice cedex - France
			+ 33 1 41 79 67 27
			g.delmas at invs.sante.fr