[EpiData-list] new to epidata: 2 questions

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 18 15:25:37 CST 2005

  Many thanks to all of you who answered my questions.

  Here's another one.  I need to removed a number of variables and  revise the .chk file to correspond to the .rec file.  The easiest  thing to do would be to make the changes in an editor (notepad,  e.g.).  The Epidata documentation says that a .chk file may not be  more than 64K (I believe) if it is being created in an editor.   The .chk file is now about 108K.  Does this mean I can't make the  changes in an editor?

  Richard Herrell
  NIMH

2  I've discovered I need to delete a number of variables from the data  file. This seems straightforward since I can simply delete them from  the .qes file and they will be deleted from the .rec file. What happens  to the .chk file when I open the new .rec file with deleted variables?  Will Epidata revise the .chk file by deleting the checks for variables  that no longer exist?