[EpiData-list] new to epidata: 2 questions

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Nov 21 02:13:26 CST 2005

1- CHK file size: I use to edit most of my chk files with an editor (metapad is the most convenient I could find, and it's freeware); I use to work with quite large chk files, and I never noticed anything wrong with opening it with an expernal text editor.

2- Variables deleted from the qes file:
No, variables will not be removed from the check file.
Here is what to do:

1st time you try to enter dada after the QES has been modified:

Display: 'Revise data from revised revised QES file?' Click Yes

Display: The revised QES file will cause loss of data in these fields... (list of fields that have been removed) click "Accept"

Then, warning displays: "Could not apply checks (...)" click Yes. The CHK file opens on the left side of the screen, while a log file explaining where the detected errors are.
Move (left) to the concerned area (ex: variable DATA1 has been removed. Go to the line containing checks for DATA1, and delete all lines from this block (from DATA1 to the last END of the block).
You should also use the 'Find' feature to look for DATA1 within the whole chk file (in case other variables refer to it in their checks) and remove all DATA1 occurrences.

Gilles Delmas
InVS Paris