[EpiData-list] wild cards in variable names?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 26 09:12:02 CST 2006

I have 70 variables, named var1, var2,  . . . var70

Each has a corresponding numerical variable, which is calculated from
the value of var, during data entry, via an IF THEN ELSE statement in
the check file:

var1num, var2num,  .  . .  var70num

I would like each varXnum to be zero by default, when a new record is
opened.  I found the BEFORE RECORD command, which it seems would do the
job.  But I want to save on typing, so is there a wildcard character,
such as * , so I can type just one command in a BEFORE RECORD block,
like this:

BEFORE RECORD
var*num = 0
END

Thanks.
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]