[EpiData-list] view deleted records in view data

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Aug 20 11:12:30 CDT 2006

Here is a follow up to my earlier reply. Clearly I wasn't thinking in
simple terms when I proposed the complicated solution. Analysis has
access to two (and maybe more) very useful 'hidden' variables:

RECNUMBER - (real number) the current record number (based on current sort)
RECDELETED - (Y/N) the deletion status of the current record
You onlly have access to these in LET statements. You cannot LIST or
BROWSE them or use commands like FREQ on them.

So the simple solution to finding deleted records in Analysis is:

read file1
list if recdeleted

will list all fields for deleted records only. Of course it make more
sense just to list a few of them, or to use browse. However, list will
give a written record of them.

A more elegant solution is this:

read file1
gen i file1rec = recnumber          // create a new variable to hold
recnumber
type "Record number and subject ID for deleted records" /h2
list file1rec idvar if recdeleted

Jamie Hockin