[EpiData-list] EPIDATA really appropriate??

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Sep 24 16:19:59 CDT 2006

I really like epidata for data entry. In our public health service we use epidata for data entry and epi info for analysis.

We mainly use epidata/epi info for investigating outbreaks. As outbreaks don't come along all the time the computer support software has to be simple so staff can quickly remember how to use it. I teach courses on using epidata and epi info to staff and they find epidata in particular, very easy to learn.

The two other things I like about epidata that have stopped me making the switch to doing everything in epi info are
1. How easy it is to have a 'master' qes form in Epiidata. You can open it up - add or delete a few extra questions - save it as a new name and then have a new rec file
2. The way it is easy to add new questions once you have started data entry

With outbreaks we usually want to create questionnaires very fast - so being able to quickly adapt existing forms and adapt them once you've started is great.

I don't find that Epi info has that flexibility for data entry but I do like it for analysis. I expect Stata can do more things but Epi Info seems to do all we need and of course is free!

Christine

Christine Roseveare
Analyst
Regional Public Health
570 9194
027 495 9671

>>> <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca> 24/09/2006 1:37 a.m. >>>
QUESTION: I may be addressing a biased audiance, but Id like some reassurance that EpiData is the best way to go for capturing questionnaire data, which will then be transferred to STATA. I had started an EpiInfo database but then realized that it does not support double data entry...or at least not very easily.

Thanks!!

Todd

Technical Public Health Advisor, Epidemiologist

Technical Support Unit (STAO)
Médecins du Monde
62 rue Marcadet Paris-75018
Tel.: +33 (0)1 44 92 14 79
Fax: +33 (0)1 44 92 99 92
E-mail: todd.swarthout at medecinsdumonde.net

--
The information contained in this email and
any attachments is confidential and may be