[EpiData-list] Re: Importing other file formats (eg SPSS) to create REC, CHK and QES files

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 9 18:59:41 CST 2007

Hmm... I may have just found a round-about way of doing this for SPSS - as
usual I only find a solution after asking about it!

I just realised that I can save my SPSS file as a STATA file (I was looking
for an SPSS export capability when all I needed was "Save As"), and then
import the STATA file into EpiData. This doesn't give me a QES file (I think
generating a QES file from a REC file is something currently being worked
on?) but does give me a CHK file with value labels and a REC file with
variable labels and data.

Only one small problem - the values which were integers seem to now have 4
decimal places, which without a QES file to revise from I don't think I can
correct? It also means that the format does not match the value labels
(integers) which causes errors. Perhaps I am importing into the wrong
version of STATA... Still, a big step from where I was!

Thanks,
Charity