[EpiData-list] String functions

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 9 18:10:00 CST 2007

Hello Epidata Listers.

My colleague and I are new to the data entry development game and can't
figure out the string functions.  Our study id is a combination of one
letter and 3 numbers.  I'd like for the letter to always be capitalized.  It
seems that the following might be appropriate somehow:

function Upper(S: string): string
Returns a string containing the same text as S, but with all letters
converted to upper case.

but I don't understand how it works.  Where do I put the function?  Do I
replace "S" with the variable name "id"?  I've tried several variations but
since I don't understand the logic, I don't know how to debug my syntax
errors.

I'd appreciate any help you could give!

Thanks,
Kristine