[EpiData-list] String functions

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 11 04:07:00 CST 2007

Hi Kristine;

If your ID combination is 5 spaces long, combining letters & digits, the most convenient way is to use an alpha-upper case field in the data entry questionnaire:

It should look like that:
Id: <A    > (the '<' opens a string field, the 'A' will transform any letter to the corresponding upper case, folloyed by 4 spaces (so 5 characters can be entered; put more if needed), and the '>' closes the field.

With this field, 'AaAaa' will be stored as 'AAAAA', 'A234a' will be stored as 'A234A'...

Hope this will help!
Gilles
			Gilles DELMAS
			Institut de Veille Sanitaire
			Dept. Maladies Infectieuses,
			Unité infections entériques, alimentaires et zoonoses
			12 rue du Val d'Osne 94415 Saint-Maurice cedex - France
			+ 33 1 41 79 67 27
			g.delmas at invs.sante.fr