[EpiData-list] Regarding automatically filling of fields

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 12 13:01:37 CST 2007

To Jamie, Jens Lauritsen, Hans and all of you that follow this thread and came with many helpful suggestions 'Thanks'.

After trying different models, I managed to create a Syntax that allow me to enter data in one field and get automatically related data filled up in two other fields. I had to split the helping REC file into two files. The Key variable in the first file was the brand (say Aspirin) and the second variable was the Generic name (say ASA), and in the second file the Key variable was the generic name and the second variable the ATC code.

If somebody may give a feed back, I will appreciate it.

The two 'Helping files' look like this:

Brand-Generic (MedGen.REC)

    MedNvn     Aspirin     MedGen   acetylic salicylic acid
    MedNvn     Beuron      MedGen   acetaminophen
    MedNvn     Efferalgan  MedGen   acetaminophen
    MedNvn     Panadol     MedGen   acetaminophen
    MedNvn     Paralen     MedGen   acetaminophen
    MedNvn     Tyelenol    MedGen   acetaminophen

Generic-ATC (MedATC.REC)

    MedGen   acetylic salicylic acid    MedATC  n02ba01

    MedGen   acetaminophen    MedATC  n02be01

    MedGen   acetaminophen    MedATC  n02be01

    MedGen   acetaminophen    MedATC  n02be01

    MedGen   acetaminophen    MedATC  n02be01

    MedGen   acetaminophen    MedATC  n02be01

The CHK file of my qustionnaire (MedicineQues.CHK):

    MedNvn

      MUSTENTER

      COMMENT LEGAL MedGen.rec Show

      TYPE COMMENT MedGen

    END

    MedGen

      COMMENT LEGAL MedATC.rec Show

      TYPE COMMENT MedATC

    END

    MedATC

      NOENTER

    End

(The role of the command MUSTENTER and NOENTER is not fully clear to me, However, they have to be included in this fashion)

The CHK file of the Brand-Generic database (MedGen.CHK):

    MedNvn
      KEY 1
    END

    MedGen
      KEY 2
    END

The CHK file of the Generic-ATC database (MedATC.CHK):

    MedNvn
      KEY 1
    END

    MedATC
      KEY 2
    END

My QESTIONNAIRE file (MedicineQues.QES):

    MedNvn   the name of the Drug      ___________________
    MedGen   The Generic name          ___________________
    MedATC   The ATC code              _____________
    AnyFild  Any field                 #