[EpiData-list] IDNUM at top of each data entry screen?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 22 07:39:46 CST 2007

Hi all,

With many fields to enter, the QES file of epidata can easily become
very large and cover 2 (or even more) subsequent screens. While entering
the data, after having filled in the last field of screen 1, there will
be a continuous scrolling down after each next field is entered. To
prevent this continuous scrolling, one can use the TOPOFSCREEN command
in the CHK file, which places the field in question at the top of the
second entry screen. This results in a more steady (over)view during
data entry, which I think is preferable.

Now to my question. At the top of the first screen I show the value of
the automatic <IDNUM> field, which corresponds with the respondent
number written on the questionnaires.  Is there a way to have this
<IDNUM> shown at the top of EACH new data entry screen? I've tried this
by simply putting the text

   respondent: <IDNUM>

at the top of each new screen. However, this didn't work well, since
after the entry and saving of record 1, the next empty datarecord for
case 2 is shown, but instead of  showing

  respondent  2

it shows

  respondent 1

while at the second screen it shows

  respondent 2

Probably I'm doing something strange, with showing the IDNUM field more
then one time in the same REC file.
Does anyone know a method to manage this problem?

Thanks, Ben.