[EpiData-list] Showing IDNUM at top of 2 or more entry screens

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 22 09:32:28 CST 2007

Hi all,

With many fields to enter, the QES file of epidata can easily become
very large and cover 2 (or even more) subsequent screens. While entering
the data, after having filled in the last field of screen 1, there will
be a continuous scrolling down after each next field is entered. To
prevent this continuous scrolling of the screen, one can use the
TOPOFSCREEN command in the CHK file, which places the field in question
at the top of the second entry screen. This results in a more steady
(over)view during data entry, which I think is preferable.

Now to my question. At the top of the first screen I show the value of
the automatic <IDNUM> field, which corresponds with the respondent
number written on the questionnaires.  Is there a way to have this
<IDNUM> shown at the top of EACH new data entry screen? I've tried this
by simply putting the text

  respondent: <IDNUM>

at the top of each new screen. However, this didn't work well, since
after the entry and saving of record 1, the next empty datarecord for
case 2 is shown, but instead of  showing

 respondent  2

it shows

 respondent 1

while at the second screen it shows

 respondent 2

Probably I'm doing something strange, with showing the IDNUM field more
then one time in the same REC file.
Does anyone know a method to manage this problem?

Thanks, Ben.