[EpiData-list] Entering time and date for outbreaks

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Feb 27 14:24:19 CST 2007

Dear Christine, Charity:

If you wish to keep the QES file uncluttered, keep just the 5 fields:

supperdate      Date supper took place <dd/mm/yyyy>
suppertime         Time supper started ##.##
onsetdate        Date of symptom onset <dd/mm/yyyy>
onsettime        Time of symptom onset ##.##
incubation  Incubation period in hours ###.##

In the CHK file then make use of temporary variables:

BEFORE FILE
  define supperTemp  ##########.##
  define onsetTemp   ##########.##
END

supperdate
  MUSTENTER
END

suppertime
  MUSTENTER
  AFTER ENTRY
   supperTemp=(supperdate-"01/01/2000")*24+suppertime
  END
END

onsetdate
  MUSTENTER
END

onsettime
  MUSTENTER
  AFTER ENTRY
   onsetTemp=(onsetdate-"01/01/2000")*24+onsettime
   incubation=onsetTemp-supperTemp
  END
END

incubation
  NOENTER
END

Of course, you might wish to build in conditions as Charity suggests.
Furthermore, you could make provisions for unknown exact times, etc,
this is just one possible barebone approach if all is known.

The date "01/01/2000" is an arbitrary anchor date.

Regards,

Hans

Charity

--