[EpiData-list] invalid dates

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 9 18:39:53 CST 2007

While a solution that flags dates as invalid/missing will be useful, another strategy for dealing with the invalid dates is to import them as text and use the built-in functions to convert valid ones to dates. There is still a potential problem with finding the invalid date records, but you have an opportunity to do this on your own terms.

I assume that the dates were imported somehow into a .rec file, as entry would not allow such dates. I don't recall whether import checks date validity, but it does other field types. The invalid dates can readily be checked using the validation capacity of EpiData Entry and .chk files. This may be the best way to do this, as a detailed report of errors is produced.

I have run into this type of error importing EpiInfo files and reading .dbf files, but not working with .rec files that I had control over.

Jamie