[EpiData-list] deleted and excluded records

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 13 02:16:27 CDT 2007

Continued discussion on this topic:

The suggested solution I gave could be clarified:

1. Dates before year approx. 1700-1800 give problems in Analysis now, but
obviously should not. Although as everyone probably know there is a shift
around 15xx (I do not remember the exact year).

2. The suggestion:
"SUGGESTION: Would it not be possible for Analysis to assign a standard
valid value (e.g. 01/01/1900) to any invalid dates it comes across
during the read process.  "

Will be used in the next build of analysis, since it is very easy to
implement. Obviously with a message to the user.  I think this can be done
in 5 minutes of work time in the programming, whereas the optimal solution
of showing variable/field name and record is a large job - could be 1-2
days of work, since the function controlling the date value is not knowing
neither the name of the field nor the record. But I will add the issue to
the work plan for a solution at some point.

Regarding the "excluded" versus "deleted" is also easy. The user can
control whether records deleted are read or not by:
set read deleted=on
set read deleted=off

The change works only when reading the file, so if you change re-read the
file again. e.g.
set read deleted = off
read myfile
describe age
set read deleted = on
read myfile /close
describe age             // here records marked for deletion are included.

off is default. There is an error in v1 b68 in relation to this setting,
such that if you read the file with "set read deleted=off" and then do an
"update", you will see the records marked for deletion. The error has been
found and a solution will be shown in next test release.

regards