[EpiData-list] long text fields

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 14 03:52:48 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Is there a nice way in Epidata to deal with long text fields of 300
positions? I'm working with a questionnaire with open-end questions. The
answers are not longer than about 300 characters. The qes files now has
four text fields, each covering 80 positions which is the maximum.
Though this works, it is e.g. not easy to make corrections in the text,
since the four fields are handled separately by Epidata; inserting a
word that I forgot to enter in the first field implies that all
remaining fields have to be adjusted as well, since the text does not
scroll over all five fields at the same time. Also, instead of showing
80 positions, only 64 are visible at a time, in each field. Does anyone
have an idea or tip what I could do, staying with Epidata that is. (Of
course, I could also type the text in notepad or whatever, but it's much
nicer to keep all data together.) Thanks for any advice, Ben.