[EpiData-list] long text fields

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 14 06:45:31 CDT 2007

Two possibilities come to mind, both compromises at this time.
1) Leave some space at the end of each field as you type to allow you to
insert characters. Of course, this will have its limits.
2) Capture the text using the data notes capability. Just hit <F5> when
in a field and EpiData opens the Notes screen. You can type all you want
in here. EpiData puts in the record number, field name and current field
contents, so you may want to add to a BEFORE ENTRY block for this field:

BEFORE ENTRY
  WRITENOTE "Notes for patient @patidnum, visit number @visitnum"
  END

This a very powerful feature of EpiData that is missing from most other
software.
You don't have any means of manipulating the data, but they are captured
and can be reviewed and edited in any text/word processor.