[EpiData-list] Re: common site for teaching/training materials

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Apr 19 02:23:54 CDT 2007

AS some of you might have noticed I have already defined an open EpiData
site - in the form of a wiki - where some experiences on using this
technology already exist.

The www.epidata.org site has been reserved by me a few years back with the
intention that this could serve as the "community" site for EpiData,
maintained collectively by the body of epidata users.

Pedro Arias and I created  teaching material for use in the Canadian Field
Epi course last autumn. Off list I have suggested to a number of users
mentioning materials to add these to the site, but the time and energy to
get onto a new way of working can be difficult to find for already busy
people.  If the material already exist it is quite easy to copy and paste
into the wiki and upload the figures/images.

The experimental site is found at http://www.epidata.org/wiki

There is some learning problems in the beginning when editing in the wiki
format, but with a few experiments it works very well. An introduction is
shown at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page

The optimal would be that a group of persons together take on the
responsibility of maintaining the open site, since we must unfortunately
expect that someone will add irrelevant material or suggestions which
otherwise are not appropriate.  The initial steps of forming such a group
has been made, but awaits further initiatives.

Kind regards

Coordinator and initiator of EpiData Project
http://www.epidata.dk