[EpiData-list] Getting values from other records - long to wide conversion - continued

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Apr 30 15:41:23 CDT 2007

Marcel extended the example by asking:
Is there a way to make sure that the data set is sorted to be sure that
the assumption: "* We assume that the order of visits in set12 is
chronological,
holds" ?

I recommend having a time in the "visits record", preferably:
e.g. datevisit, but also a sequential number in patient follow up
studies, e.g.visit 1=start 2=4monts 3=12 months 4=2years etc.

In real empirical data it usually happens that one or more visits are
either missed or taking place at a point in time not exactly being on
time. E.g. how to designate a visit 5 monts after initial treatment in a
study where visits are supposed to be at 4 and 6 months. Sequence often
indicates certain tests (e.g. blood samples) which vary by visit, e.g.
more expensive ones less often, such as x-rays. By using as well the
date and the sequence we can know exactly what are the data, which
variables are missing and what is the time difference from "supposed
time of visit".

Therefore careful planning obviously remedies this by having the
possibility to sort as well on sequence and date.

sort id visit

In the control of such data I would always:

read rawdata
*suppose we need 4 visits per person, numbered 1 2 3 4
* 1+2+3+4=10
aggregate studyid /sum="visit" /close
gen i ok=(sumvisit=10)
list studyid visit if ok <> 1