[EpiData-list] consistency checks on longitudinal data

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jul 9 07:35:52 CDT 2007

Vicky,
There are some useful tips in the list archives from April 2007 (Getting
values from other records) that will help with 2)

In general, you can make use of the ability of EpiData Analysis to
reference values in other records in the database. You do this by using
square brackets after a variable name. var[i] is the value of var in
record i; var[_n] is the value of var in the current record.
For example, for problem 1), say you want to use fields age, sex,
district to check for records where ID might be miscoded:

gen s asd=string(age)+sex+district
sort asd id
define checkrec #
checkrec=0
if (asd=asd[_n-1]) and (id<>id[_n-1]) then checkrec=1
if (asd=asd[_n+1]) and (id<>id[_n+1]) then checkrec=1
select checkrec=1
list

This will list all records where asd matches the record before or after,
but id does not match.

3) should be done at entry time
4) can be done using same strategy as above
sort id vist
gen b checkrec=(id=id[_n-1]) and (visitdate<visitdate[_n-1])
list id visit visitdate if checkrec

Jamie