[EpiData-list] double entry checking by key field

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 10 15:30:18 CDT 2007

I am checking the entry in some files using the double entry verification.  The data are from a family study so the unique identifying information is a family ID (4 digits), an individual ID (2 digits), and informant ID (in some cases, people will be reporting on others.  Each data record, then, is uniquely identified by these 8 digits.  I created a key for the entry check file as follows:

rhinf
  RANGE 1 99
  MUSTENTER
  after entry
    rhukey=famid*10000+indid*100+rhinf
  end
END

rhukey
  noenter
  key unique
end

This works fine to prevent entering the same record twice.

I'm trying to use the variable rhukey as the match variable in the double entry program.  I have intentionally entered non-matching data, but Epidata doesn't recognize any discrepancies.  Is there a problem with a key that is created in the dbl file as well as in the original file?

Thanks.

Richard Herrell
NIMH