[EpiData-list] Re: Ranked variable questions

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Aug 23 15:00:21 CDT 2007

Christine wrote:
I have been asked to set up a database for a questionnaire that has
already been written. I was going to set it up in epidata but my problem
is how to deal witha question that asks people to rank options. The
question gives a list of topics and asks the person filling in the
questionnaire to rank them from 1-10 in order of importance.

I suggest to do the following:
For each question (say 25 different themes) enter the priority the
person gave to that issue.
setup the qes:
v1 item1 ..... ##
v2 item2 ..... ##
etc
v25 text for item 25 ##

in chk make the defaultvalue 0:
before file
   DEFAULTVALUE v1-v25 0
end

Then in analysis after entering the data: (say you had the 25 variables)
read response
aggregate /sum="v1,v2,v3,v4,v5"
aggregate /sum="v6,v7,v8,v9,v10"
etc

* the tables will show the sum of the variables, that is the overall
ranking sum.

example
read bromar   // example data set for epidata
aggregate /sum="dectime,km,age"
which gives the output:
N    Ndectime    SUMdecti1    Nkm    SUMkm    Nage    SUMage
4027    3556    13913.85    3620    381084.00    3786    153740

telling us: 4027 observations in all of these 3556 contributed to
dectime, 3620 to km
and 3786 to age variables. Sum of the three being 13913.85, 381084.00
and 153740

Obviously here the sum makes no sense, but in your case the sum of the
ranking would reflect all of the variables and the responses.

regards
ps. I tried to locate the user sending spam to the list today/yesterday
and may effectively have deleted this person from the list (if not we
will see more of the same spam) - terribly annoying.