[EpiData-list] How to use large amounts of of legal values in chk file

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 23 16:55:34 CST 2007

EpiData Entry most likely does not recognize *.inc.  Assume that your
POSTCODE.INC file has two fields:
name
postcode

where NAME is the place and POSTCODE its postal code.  Make a text file,
eg NAMECODE.TXT containing only these two fields, semi-colon delimited.
Then make a QES file, e.g., NAMECODE.QES with just two fields:

name _________________
postcode ####

Then use the import function to import the NAMECODE.TXT file.

Now edit the NAMECODE.CHK file so that:

name
  key 1
end

postcode
  key 2
end

Go now to your MAINFILE.REC and edit the MAINFILE.CHK in the appropriate
place to:

postalname
  COMMENT LEGAL namecode.rec SHOW
  TYPE COMMENT postalcode
END

postalcode
  NOENTER
END

(assuming you have these two fields).  Now the data entry person gets
the external file as a label block, with POSTALNAME as the field value
that can be found quickly, and the POSTALCODE  as the value label,
written into the appropriate field.

Hans

--
Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH