[EpiData-list] How to: relate files - how can I get only one record in sub files for each main record ?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 3 03:31:53 CST 2008

Hi,
This is fine but I want to have a field in the middle of the form that determines
whether to stop and save the record and return to File A or to relate to another file.

If the value is 1 save and return.
If the value is 2 continue entering data.

v4
 AFTER ENTRY
  IF V4 = 2 THEN
    RELATE id fileC
  ELSE
    GOTO WRITE
  ENDIF
END

But this (GOTO WRITE) doesn't quite work. Epidata saves the record ok, and
returns to File a but then somehow returns to File b in Read Only mode.
My structure is exactly as below. I'd like to stay in file a.
Note, F10 does not work in this case. I have to use mouse to close.
Thanks....Edward

-------
Ziad asked: How to go for new record if you have two parts in EpiData?

>/ I have database made of two parts. When we finish data entry in "part 2",
/>/ instead of moving to new record file, and we expect to see part 1, we get
/>/ new record file in part 2.
/>/
/I assume the situation is this:
a. enter data into file A
b. at latest field in file A perform a relate to file B based on unique ID
c. continue with more data in B
d. at last field in file B you wish to continue with next record in file A.

IF you specify in file A last field:
 after entry
    relate id fileB
end

Then after entering last field in file B you will have a new record in
file B, but if you instead:

 after entry
    relate id fileB 1
end

then only one record will be entered in file B and you will return to file A

Example: qes files:
file a:
id <IDNUM>
v1 first field #