[EpiData-list] forcing 3-digit id numbers

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Feb 17 19:11:10 CST 2008

Vicky,

The reason Hans' solution is the best way to go is that range checking
on strings is not a good way to check for numbers. For example, with

uid
  RANGE 000 150
END

entries like 10x will pass, since the string "10x" lies between "109"
and "110", as do many, many other possible wrong entries. So RANGE will
be quite happy.

If you want to force entry of 3 digits as strings, then it is best to
enter them as single digits and check the range of each one, AND THEN,
check the range of the resulting number. Basically, you are having to do
what EpiData does for you whenever you enter an integer.

The .chk code isn't that difficult - let me know if you want to do it
that way and I will post it.

Jamie