[EpiData-list] Re: EpiData-list Digest, Vol 55, Issue 3 Unique ID number

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon May 5 10:48:42 CDT 2008

Gilles,

All the anterior answers are correct. Hoewever I have a preference for
another command:

idnumber
  autosearch list
end

This command does not exactly the same thing as key unique. I have this
preference because key unique does not allow U to enter a previous entered
number and does not warn you which record this number is. Autoserach warns
that this number is already in the dataset and gives you the option to edit
this one or to generate a new one. This is handy when the mistake is in the
first one.
For example... suppose you are entering data of questionnaire number 12,
but  by mistake you enter 22 at the ID number. When you get on 22, key
unique only tells you U cant enter 22, becasue it is already in the
databank. Autosearch list will show you the record with ID 22 for you to
compare and see if this is the same you entering and allow you to go to this
22 and change it to 12 if necessary.

Also, you may use them both at the same check if u like ...

id
  key unique
  autosearch list
end

Best regards,
Pedro Emmanuel

Hello,

When creating a questionnaire, in the field pick list, in the "other"
tab, select ID auto number
Alternatively in the questionnaire create a field with this specific
field marker:
<IDNUM>

Example
ID <IDNUM>