[EpiData-list] Re: Outbreak analysis diary - multiple data sets

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jun 10 06:37:20 CDT 2008

1. Merge vs. Read and Append in Analysis

Apologies - the correct syntax to read multiple files in Analysis is:

read file1
append /file=file2

you can keep adding files.

SAVEDATA will save a new .rec file. This is especially useful if you
have temporary variables that are used to manipulate the data. You can
do this:

VAR DROP temp1 temp2 temp3
SAVEDATA finaldata.rec

Merging with Entry provides a bit of documentation of what was done and
can be automated with EPIC (but thats another level of data management).

2. Merge and IDNUM. I normally avoid IDNUM as it is often useful to
record ID numbers before you get to enter the data. However, you can use
IDNUM and merge data successfully, if you assign each data entry person
a unique range of IDs. In EpiData Entry, you can set an option for the
first ID to use when entering the first record of a file. It is under
File, Options and the Advanced tab. So one person could go with the
default (1) and another could change this to 1001 before entering any data.

Another approach, where IDNUM was used and both sets of data start with
1 (although this is really not good data mangement practice, you might
do this by including another code that indicates who entered the data).
In this case, use Analysis to merge the data as above. Analysis doesn't
care about unique ID numbers.

3. Field Epidemiology course and EpiData - we do a small field survey or
observational study each year. We can send more info. Contact us via the
e-mail address found at http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cfep (Put my name in
the subject line).