[EpiData-list] Re: Loading a photo id during entry

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jul 4 13:11:24 CDT 2008

A question was:
"I am currently working on a Vaccine trial and I intend using epidata for
the study.  My problem now is that I have been struggling with how to
create a field to load photo ID. I need a help on this."

I suggest in addition to other help also to look at the "execute"
command, which is a check file command that allows running external
software during entry. From the help file of EpiData entry this example
is found under "execute":
PICTNUM
DEFINE tmpName _________________
AFTER ENTRY
LET tmpName="d:\pics\picture"+pictnum+".jpg"
EXECUTE @tmpName WAIT
END
END

The field PICTNUM is a integer field. If user enters the number 3 then a
.jpg picture file called "d:\pics\picture3.jpg" will be opened by the
default program for .jpg files. EpiData halts until pictureviewer (or
–editor) is closed. at tmpName means that @tmpName should be replaced by
the contents of the variable tmpName.

Regards