[EpiData-list] First and last observations in a file

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jul 16 10:29:25 CDT 2008

I have a data file with multiple observations for each person and each of
the multiple observations is on a separate record.  A person may have one,
two, three, or more observations. I need to create a file with the first and
last observation on the same record for each person.  Each record has a
person's id variable, date, and observation number.

If I could first identify the first and last observations and then write
them out to separate files, then it would be possible to rename the
variables except for the id variable and merge the files using the id
variable.  I searched the archive for something similar with no success.

Thanks,

John